New for 2019 is the Village Open Day, based on the idea of Heritage Open Days, but including the opportunity to see the work of community groups and local businesses too.
We are particularly pleased that the new residents of Kings Barton, part of Headbourne Worthy parish, are keen to get involved with this year’s Festival. There will be an opportunity to visit the new estate via the free King Alfred’s Bus that will be running on the Open Day
● Worthy Road, Headbourne Worthy - St Swithun’s Church Flower Festival - This Grade 1 listed Saxon church will be replete with beautiful flowers for villagers and visitors to enjoy throughout the week of the Worthys Festival.
● Upper Farm – listed barn and stables in Headbourne Worthy on Down Farm Lane, on the left 30m before the railway bridge – 10am to 12 noon. Be aware this is a working stable with horses and riders coming and going. Visitors will be accompanied around the barn and stables. C19 stables. C17 barn.
●Winchester Golf Academy – 2pm - 4pm only - come and have a FREE go on the driving range - you will need to present the voucher in the programme.
● Inaugural St Swithun’s Duck Races from 3pm - A Family fun event for all where we’ll be holding a series of duck races on this gentle stream flowing close to St Swithun’s Church. Enjoy refreshments and a tour of one of the oldest churches in the Diocese at the same time. Places are limited to 75 ducks. Preregister on firstname.lastname@example.org You’ll receive a duck in advance to decorate as you wish (with prizes for the best dressed ducks). Bring your duck on the day and compete for titles and prizes in the races - with everyone a winner!
● Teas at St Swithun’s Church all afternoon.
● From 2pm Have a Go at Bellringing - St Swithun’s Church. No difficult ladders to climb, and friendly tuition
In and Around Tubbs Hall
● Worthys Community Shed; We make, mend, repair and restore; an opportunity to come and meet us and see our facilities. Between 2.00 - 4.00 pm - adjacent to the Pax Hall, (Scout Hut) on Wesley Road. NOT just for Men!
● Pax Hall (bottom of Wesley Road) Scout Hut - pop in to see activities covering all Scout ages from Beavers upwards. Try toasting marshmallows over the fine, have a ride on the our swingboat and look at the heritage of Scouting in the Worthys over the years 2.00pm - 4.00 pm
● Unfortunately the Winchester Army Cadets will NOT be able to provide the assault course today
● Tubbs Hall: Zuzi from Say it with Flowers � will be on hand to discuss her Tea and Flower Arranging classes/parties in Tubbs Hall from 10am ‘till 12noon. There will be an opportunity for children to make a small arrangement for £5.
● Worthys Camera Club will be on hand to give you advice on taking photos and about their club - 10am - 2pm in the Tubbs Hall.
● Worthys WI - Come and meet the WI in the Tubbs Hall and find out what really goes on in meetings - it's definitely not 'Jam and Jerusalem' - you might surprise yourself and want to visit us to find out more. The WI will be serving Teas and Cakes in the Tubbs Hall from 11am to 4pm!
Old Kings Worthy
● St Mary’s Church, London Road, Kings Worthy – the church will be welcoming visitors all day.
● St Mary's Tower Tours & Have a Go at Ringing (10am12.30pm): Get a birds-eye view from the top, find out how the clock works, see the 19th Century graffiti, learn about the bells, with a chance to have a go. Please note that access is difficult so you need to be over 10 and able-bodied to visit the higher levels and children must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
● Businesses around Kings Worthy Foundry: The Foundry is welcoming casual visitors all day from 9am to 5pm. Winchester Hardwood Flooring welcomes visitors from 9am to 1pm.
● The Winchester Coffee School will be open (upstairs from the Winchester Coffee Roasters Cafe) from 12 noon to 2pm offering local residents the chance to experience life as a Barrista for free. Coffee machine demonstrations, have a go at making the perfect latte, try out our wide range of home and professional coffee-making equipment.
● The Coffee Roasters Cafe is open every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 8.30am to 3.30pm, offering coffee, of course, delicious cakes and dreamy hot chocolate – and the occasional cup of tea! They also open Monday to Thursday 10am to 2pm for take-aways and coffee bean sales.
Nations Hill/Springvale Road
● Myers Touch Kitchens - Springvale Road – 11am to 1pm. Come and see this local award-winning kitchen designer. Beautifully designed kitchens to complement your lifestyle.
● Two guided walks around Barton Meadows - 10am and 2pm. Join Hampshire & IOW Wildlife Trust (HIWWT) staff for a walk around Barton Meadows Nature Reserve. Come and learn about how this site is being converted from arable land to wildflower meadows. You’ll find out how it’s being managed and discover some of the plants and other wildlife that use this wonderful site. You can join one of the education staff at either 10am from the London Road entrance by Barton Mark, or 2pm from the tunnel under the railway - both places are marked on the map - see centre spread - for a walk of up to 3 miles with options to cut it short if you wish. There will be a small activity for children to do on the way around. The paths are a little rutted and uneven in places so good walking boots are advised. Unfortunately it isn’t therefore buggy friendly. Allow up to 2 hours.
HIWWT run Wildlife Tots sessions on the first Tuesday of every month at Barton Meadows Nature Reserve. These sessions are for preschool children accompanied by their parents or carers. We meet at 10am at The Worthy Road entrance to the reserve and finish at 11.30. To book your place, please contact Susan at email@example.com.
● Visit Kings Barton - pop into the sales office (moving to the new site closest to Winchester from 14th September) at any time from 10am to 4pm to see round a Show Home, or members of the Residents’ Association will be on hand all day to show you round their new community from the Manley Road entrance.
All day: free bus rides around the village with King Alfred’s Buses - timetable will be posted here and on bus stops nearer the time.